Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Shanghai the Second Time Around

They say that love is sweeter the second time around, but I guess that this is not the case for Shanghai. The first time I went here to Shanghai, I was with my sister. We attended an exhibit and spent the rest of the time that we had here shopping.

This time, I’m here alone and for a business trip. Funny how I didn’t notice before that the skies here are always gray. Fog or smog rather blankets over the city which is why I can’t get a clear view of anything anytime unless I walk or drive really close to it.

The water has a yellowish color which reminded me of diluted tea. Come to think of it, it also tastes like tea… maybe China water is tea.

The people are not that bad but it wouldn’t hurt for them to take a bath more often.

Although news and media boasts of Shanghai’s affluence, I can’t help but notice that the place still reeks of poverty. I can’t help but feel bad for the waiters and waitresses in the restaurants whose clothes are a little too big for them. Their oily hair and grimy faces reflect that they do not care much for hygiene, or maybe they don’t have the time for it.

Dirty old western men also go here to have a good time with the ladies. Why, just last night, I saw my old neighbor, who looks like Albert Einstein, with a young Chinese girl. The girl looked very young. I heard “Albert” lock the door and I didn’t bother to find out what they did after that.

Shanghai holds a lot of promises, economically, but I wonder when they will realize that money isn’t everything. Money can’t undo the damages done to the environment nor can it bring back the value for life and dignity of a person.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home